Those who have a certificate of residence can receive a 100,000-yen handout from the Japanese government

As part of the economic response to COVID-19, the Japanese government decided to hand out 100,000 yen to every resident in Japan.

Who is eligible ?

Anyone who is on the basic resident register (住民基本台帳; jumin kihon daicho) as of April 27th, 2020 is eligible for this handout. This includes foreign nationals who hold a certificate of residence (住民票; juminhyo), such as those who have been granted a status of residence with a period of stay of 3 months or more.

How to apply for the handout

  1. You will receive an application form via postal mail from your local municipality. 
  1. The head of household (世帯主; setai-nushi) should fill in the necessary information, including his/her bank account details, and send back the form. Along with the form, you must attach a photocopy of your identification document and a document showing your bank account details. 
  1. The amount for the whole household will be transferred to your bank account.

*“My Number card” holders can apply online via the government website.

When can I receive the handout?

The application start date varies depending on where you live. The application end date is 3 months after the start date. The cash will be wired to applicants’ bank accounts as early as May.

What documents should I prepare ?

Along with the application form, you must send the following documents to your local municipality:

  • A photocopy of your cashcard or bankbook, to confirm your bank account
  • A photocopy of your ID. Valid forms of ID are: a driver’s license, My Number card or residence card (UPDATE:5/11)

*Watch out for frauds! There are confirmed cases of fraud related to this application. Neither the Japanese government nor local governments will ever send you personal emails, or ask you for your bank account details or PIN code on your phone. 

For more details

How to fill in the application form(UPDATE: 5/8)

The application form is only available in Japanese. 

(UPDATE: 5/25) Check here for an English translation of the application form, created by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications. You can use this sample as a reference to check what to write and where.

You can only use the Japanese application form that was sent to you from the municipality you live in. Please fill out the application form in Japanese. If you have trouble writing in hiragana/katakana/kanji (Japanese characters), you can also fill out the form using rōmaji (A method of writing Japanese in the Roman alphabet). The application form you receive may be slightly different from the sample above.

N.B. On the first page of the application form, there is a place for the head of the household (i.e. the person applying/receiving the money) to use a personal name stamp (印鑑; inkan). However, if you do not have a name stamp, you can simply sign on top of that space.

Do you have any other concerns regarding the application form?

There is a video available in multiple languages that gives you detailed instructions on how to fill out the application form.

You can see the video from the website below.

NOTE (Update: 5/11) At 3 minutes and 50 seconds in the video, a photocopy of your passport is shown as an example of acceptable IDs. However, it may be unacceptable in some municipalities; if possible, you should attach a photocopy of your residence card to the application form.

How to fill in the application for special fixed value benefit| 困った時の15秒動画 soeasy
In order to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus infection and provide swift and accurate support to each househol…

*Video co-produced by ORJ Co., Ltd. and soeasy Co., Ltd.

Call center for the 100,000-yen handout

For any questions about the handout, you can contact the call center below, which is operated by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.

(UPDATE: 5/25) phone number and opening hours updated

  • Phone number: 03-5638-5855 0120-260020 (free of charge) *Japanese only
  • Opening hours : 9AM~6:30 PM(except weekends and national holidays) 9AM~8PM (including weekends and national holidays)
Multilingual call center for questions regarding the Basic Resident Register system

You can contact this call center for questions regarding the Basic Resident Register system and certificate of residence. This center is also operated by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications.

  • Phone number: 0570-066-630 (Navi Dial), 03-6436-3605 (from IP phones and PHS)
  • Opening hours: 8:30AM~5:30PM
  • Period of operation: April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 (except weekends and national holidays)
  • Supported languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portugese, Vietnamese, Thai, Indonesian, Tagalog, Nepalese