Expiry date of the” Certificate of Eligibility” is granted an extension
Due to the spread of coronavirus, “Certificate of Eligibility (COE)” holders may not be able enter Japan before their COE expires.
To deal with this problem, for the time being, the government of Japan decided to treat a COE as a document valid for 6 months (though it is normally valid for 3 months). This rule is in effect from March 10th, 2020. You can use your COE valid for 6 months or less to apply for a visa or landing permission.
As of February 6th, 2021, COE expiry dates are exceptionally extended as follows.
- COE issued between October 1st and December 31st, 2020→Valid until April 30th, 2021
- COE issued between January 1st and January 30th, 2021→Valid until July 31st, 2021
- COE issued on January 31st, 2021 or later→Valid for 6 months from the issue date
You can extend the expiry date of your COE if:
- You are currently unable to go to Japan, even though you were planning to, before your COE expires because of COVID-19.
- Where you are supposed to work or study in Japan can still confirm that they can accept you under the conditions agreed upon when you applied for a COE.
The COE which has expired during visa application process also can be extended.
(N.B.) Visa application procedures must be completed at the embassies/consulates of Japan. If your COE was issued more than 3 months ago and you are to go through visa application with it, you must submit a document stating that where you are supposed to work or study in Japan can accept you under the conditions agreed upon when you applied for a COE. This document can be in any format.
Immigration Information Center（Monday to Friday 8:30AM-5:15PM）
TEL 03-5796-7112（IP, PHS, Overseas）
When making a call, please ask for guidance in foreign languages (English, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, etc.).
Email services are available in English and Japanese only.
Regional immigration offices
Sapporo immigration bureau TEL 011-261-750
Sendai immigration bureau TEL 022-256-6076
Tokyo immigration bureau TEL 0570-034259
TEL 03-5796-7234（IP, PHS, Overseas）
Yokohama Immigration Office TEL 045-769-1720
Nagoya immigration bureau TEL 052-559-2150
Osaka immigration bureau TEL 06-4703-2100
Kobe immigration bureau TEL 078-391-6377
Hiroshima immigration bureau TEL 082-221-4411
Takamatsu immigration bureau TEL 087-822-5852
Fukuoka immigration bureau TEL 092-717-5420
Naha immigration bureau TEL 098-832-4185