If you are suffering from domestic violence (DV: when your spouse or partner keeps hitting or kicking you, yelling at you, insulting you, etc.), you can consult specialists on the phone, by email or via chat!
There is a concern that more and more people will become victims of domestic violence, because people are spending more time at home and are feeling unstable due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
There are many different types of domestic violence. Apart from physical abuse such as hitting and kicking, domestic violence includes the use of psychological violence (e.g. yelling and insulting), social abuse (e.g. not letting you contact your friends or parents), economic abuse (e.g. thoroughly checking how you spend money) and sexual violence (e.g. reproductive coercion).
If you or someone you know may be a victim of domestic violence, or if you want to leave your home with your child to flee domestic violence, there are places you can consult.
Consult DV Hotline Plus (DV相談＋) via chat if you want to talk in a language other than Japanese (Languages supported: English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Nepalese). A specialist will listen to any concerns you have about domestic violence and give you advice. DV Hotline Plus also offers consultation services 24/7 over the phone or by email, as well as online meetings, though these services are only available in Japanese. In case of emergency, DV Hotline Plus assures you (and other accompanying family members) safety and provides you with supports below:
- On-site support (e.g. going to a hospital with you if necessary)
- Temporary protections including shelters
If you have something urgent that you want to consult a specialist, you can call DV Soudan Navi (DV相談ナビ: 0570-0-55210). The number will connect you to the closest spousal violence counseling and support center（配偶者暴力相談支援センター; haigusha bouryoku shien center) . Each center offers counseling services on the phone, in-person counseling, on-site support and temporary protection. If you wish, you can choose to consult anonymously.
Municipalities and other local organizations also provide consultation services for domestic violence. Here’s the list of consultation services in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba which offer you multilingual consultations. If you want to speak with somebody in your local area but are not sure where to consult, please call DV Soudan Navi.
In case of real emergency, e.g. if you feel that your partner harm you seriously or that your life is put at risk, please call the police (dial 110 on the phone).
DV Hotline +
This is a consultation service set up recently by the Cabinet Office (内閣府; naikaku-fu) in response to the spread of the novel coronavirus. You can consult any issues regarding domestic violence via chat in Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian and Nepalese.
- Chat (Japanese: 12:00~22:00, other languages available 24/7)
- Phone (Available 24/7, free of charge, Japanese only): 0120-279-889
- Email (Available 24/7, Japanese only)
Please check this page for more information, including where you can chat in English.
DV Soudan Navi
This is also a navigation service operated by the Cabinet Office. When you call this number (0570-0-55210), it will automatically navigate you to your nearest consultation center. Call charges apply. Consultation services are only available when each consultation center is open.
Local Consultation Services
- Place: Tokyo Women’s Plaza (東京ウィメンズプラザ)
- Phone: 03-5467-2455 *call charges apply
- For whom: People living, working or studying in Tokyo
- Languages supported: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Tagalog
- Times when foreign language consultation is available: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, 13:00~16:00 (Excluding national holidays and Dec. 29 to Jan. 3) *If you want to call at another time, please have a Japanese speaker next to you.
For more information, please check this page.
- Place: Kanagawa Gender Equality Center (かながわ男女共同参画センター)
- Phone: 090-8002-2949 *call charges apply
- For whom: Women in Kanagawa prefecture
- Languages supported: English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese
- Times available: Monday to Saturday, 10:00~17:00 *meetings available under reservation until 16:00
For more information, please check this page.
- Place: Saitama Information and Support (外国人総合相談センター埼玉)
- Phone: 048-833-3296 *call charges apply
- Email: email@example.com *currently unavailable
- Languages supported: Simple Japanese, English, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese, Korean, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Nepalese
- Times available: Monday to Friday, 9:00~16:00 (Excluding holidays and Dec. 29 to Jan. 3) *Available on holidays from April 29 to May 6, 2020
For more information, please check this page. You can also talk about any concerns other than domestic violence.
- Place: Family Center Viola (ファミリーセンタービオラ)
- Phone：0438-53-3453 *call charges apply
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consultation services in Japanese, English, Tagalog and Cebuano: Monday to Friday, 9:00~19:00 (Excluding holidays)
- Consultation services in Vietnamese and Thai: every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, 15:00~19:00
You can talk about not only your worries concerning domestic violence but also anything related to social welfare. For more information, check their English website.