If you are a technical intern trainee and lost your job due to the impact of COVID-19, you can receive support for reemployment.
The COVID-19 crisis has had a significant impact on employment in Japan.
If you are staying in Japan as a technical intern trainee or a specified skilled worker, you may have lost your current job because your company has been temporarily shut down.
Are you worried about finding another job? If yes, there is a new support system available to you.
If you are a technical intern trainee or a specified skilled worker and got laid off, please report to the Immigration Services Agency via the company you had been working for / the supervising organization. The Immigration Services Agency, in cooperation with various organizations in different industries, will introduce you to possible job opportunities. You may also change your visa status to “Designated Activities.”
(Update: 6/28) For an explanation about this system as well as other forms of support available to foreign residents in Japan who have lost their jobs, check out this poster (also available in other foreign languages).
Who is eligible?
Technical intern trainees / specified skilled workers who are experiencing difficulties continuing their training (e.g. layoffs) due to the impact of COVID-19.
- If you cannot find a new employer, the Immigration Services Agency can help you find a new job in specific industries.
- If you are willing to acquire essential skills to work as a specified skilled worker, you can obtain a visa under a “Designated Activities” status (valid for up to 1 year).
What you should do to receive support
In order to find a new employer, you need to provide your personal information.
- Submit “consent for the treatment of personal data” found on the Ministry of Justice’s website (only available in Japanese) to your current host company or supervising organization.
- The host company or supervising organization will submit your consent to the Immigration Services Agency.
- The Immigration Services Agency will provide your information to relevant organizations in order to find a job that suits you.
- If necessary, you should change your visa status (only available in Japanese) after you find a new job.
- Consult in your native language (email)
Available languages: Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian, Thai, English, Cambodian, Burmese
Check out this page for details.
- Consult in your native language (phone)
Vietnamese：0120-250-168（Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri）
Chinese：0120-250-169 (Mon, Wed, Fri)
Indonesian：0120-250-192 (Tue, Thu)
Filipino：0120-250-197 (Tue, Sat)
English：0120-250-147 (Tue, Sat)
Thai：0120-250-198 (Thu, Sat)
*Calls are free of charge