If Technical Intern Trainees Are Dismissed From Their Jobs

If you are a technical intern trainee and lost your job due to the impact of COVID-19, you can receive support for reemployment.

The COVID-19 crisis has had a significant impact on employment in Japan. 

If you are staying in Japan as a technical intern trainee or a specified skilled worker, you may have lost your current job because your company has been temporarily shut down.

Are you worried about finding another job? If yes, there is a new support system available to you.

If you are a technical intern trainee or a specified skilled worker and got laid off, please report to the Immigration Services Agency via the company you had been working for / the supervising organization. The Immigration Services Agency, in cooperation with various organizations in different industries, will introduce you to possible job opportunities. You may also change your visa status to “Designated Activities.”

UPDATE June 28th: For an explanation about this system as well as other forms of support available to foreign residents in Japan who have lost their jobs, check out the link to this poster (also available in other foreign languages).

Who is Eligible? 

Technical intern trainees / specified skilled workers who are experiencing difficulties continuing their training (e.g. layoffs) due to the impact of COVID-19.

Technical intern trainees who have already finished their training, but are having trouble returning to their home country due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.


  • If you cannot find a new employer, the Immigration Services Agency can help you find a new job in specific industries.
  • If you are willing to acquire essential skills to work as a specified skilled worker, you can obtain a visa under a “Designated Activities” status (valid for up to 1 year).

What You Should Do to Receive Support

In order to find a new employer, you need to provide your personal information. 

  1. Submit “consent for the treatment of personal data” found on the Ministry of Justice’s website (only available in Japanese) to your current host company or supervising organization. 
  2. The host company or supervising organization will submit your consent to the Immigration Services Agency. UPDATE March 11th: ※Specified skilled foreign workers will need to submit their “Consent for the Treatment of Personal Data” to the Regional Immigration Bureau.
  3. The Immigration Services Agency will provide your information to relevant organizations in order to find a job that suits you.
  4. If necessary, you should change your visa status (only available in Japanese) after you find a new job. UPDATE March 8th: ※For more information on changing your visa status/status of residence, please visit this link: “For all Technical Intern Trainees who are unable to find work or return to your home country due to the Coronavirus: You can modify your Visa/Residence QualificationUPDATE April 10th: This article will be kept updated whenever necessary


Consult in your native language (email)

Available languages: Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian, Thai, English, Cambodian, Burmese
Check out this page for details. UPDATE March 5th: Any questions or consulting via email will be accepted for 24 hours any day.

Consult in your native language (phone)

(1) OTIT Organization for Technical Intern Training

Vietnamese:0120-250-168 Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri Mon ~ Fri (11:00 – 19:00), Sun (9:00 – 17:00)
Chinese:0120-250-169 Mon, Wed, Fri (11:00 – 19:00), Sun (9:00 – 17:00)
Indonesian:0120-250-192 Tue, Thu (11:00 – 19:00)
Filipino:0120-250-197 Tue, Sat (11:00 – 19:00)
English:0120-250-147 Tue, Sat (11:00 – 19:00)
Thai:0120-250-198 Thu, Sat (11:00 – 19:00)
Cambodian:0120-250-366 Thu (11:00 – 19:00)
Burmese:0120-250-302 Fri (11:00 – 19:00)
*Calls are free of charge

(2) FRESC Foreign Residents Support Center “Help Desk”

Phone Number: 0120-76-2029
Available Time : Mon ~ Fri (9:00 – 17:00)
Available Languages: Easy Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Nepali, Thai, Indonesian, Filipino, Burmese, Khmer, Mongolian

We will support you with the document preparation for your re-employment.           
URL: http://www.moj.go.jp/isa/support/fresc/fresc01.html           
Please check for information for each language here.