You can take a PCR test at various institutions. However, you need to consult and make an appointment with a different center, depending on your reason for the test.
This page introduces contact information of consultation service counters and how to make an appointment with a medical institution and a testing facility for those who want to take a PCR test.
Here are things to do depending on your reason for a PCR test. Please choose the one that applies to you from the following four cases.
- When you have symptoms such as fever
- When you receive notifications about the possibility of contact with a person who has tested positive for the novel coronavirus from the application COCOA
- When you want to take a test before going abroad or after entering Japan
- When you want to take a test for other personal reasons
1. When you have symptoms such as fever
When you have symptoms such as fever and when you are worried about the viral infection, please call your family doctor or a call center such as a local medical institution or a fever consultation center.
After the call, if they consider that you need a test, you can receive instructions on consultation at a medical institution or how to take a PCR test.
You can refer to contact information of consultation service counters of each municipality in the Greater Tokyo area in the website “When you are feeling unwell: COVID-19 Helplines in Tokyo and Surrounding Areas”
2. When you receive notifications about the possibility of contact with a person who has tested positive for the novel coronavirus from the application COCOA
The contact-confirming application COCOA enables you to receive notifications if you may contact someone infected with the novel coronavirus.
If you receive a notification, please follow the instructions displayed on the app screen and enter your symptoms or dial the phone number displayed.
Your symptoms and contact records with an infected person will be confirmed, and accordingly, you will be introduced to a medical institution.
3.When you want to take a test before going abroad or after entering Japan
TeCOT(COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers)
TeCOT(COVID-19 Testing Center for Overseas Travelers) was established for those who want to take a PCR test before or after traveling abroad.
This system is managed by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare and the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, and provides online services for overseas travelers to find and request appointments at desired medical institutions which can conduct adequate medical tests such as PCR testing.
The system for searching and making appointments at medical institutions is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Who can use the system
Only business travelers, including foreigners who have Working Status. (It will be available at a later date to those who travel for purposes other than business such as international students leaving Japan.) You can also use the system after a short-term business trip.
UPDATE February 20th：Now It is available for anyone who is going abroad.
*Only short-term business travelers can take a PCR test when returning to Japan.
How to use
UPDATE February 20th：The procedure differs depending on if you are a business traveler or not (a general traveler). Please choose the one which applies to you.
Foreigners who have Working Status are also included in business travelers. Students are included in general travelers.
UPDATE February 20th：A. Business travelers
UPDATE February 20th：A gBizID is required to log in TeCOT.
If you do not have a gBizID, obtain one in the first place.
There are three kinds of gBizIDs. Whichever ID you obtain, you can make use of TeCOT. This page introduces how to obtain “gBizID entry“, which is readily obtainable.
- Access the website of gBizID(Japanese)
- Click on the “gBizIDエントリーを作成(create s gBizID entry)” buttton（gray button）
- Enter your email address and click on the “登録(register)” button
- Confirmation window of email address will be displayed. Click on the “OK” button
- You will receive an email from gBizID to the address which you entered. Access the URL in the email and enter your account information.
- “基本情報(basic information)” : For a corporation, enter the Corporate Number and click on the “法人情報入力(enter the corporation information)” button. For a sole proprietor, enter the business name and location. In either case, enter the name of the representative.
- “アカウント利用者情報(account owner information)” : Enter the information on a person who manages an account.
- Read the terms of service and check the “規約に同意する(accept the terms)”
- Finally, set a password and click on the “登録(register)” button. (You will use this password to log in TeCOT.）
- Confirm that all the information that you entered is correct and click on the “OK” button
UPDATE February 20th：B. General travelers
A general traveler is required to obtain a TeCOT ID.
*Each traveler needs their own TeCOT ID. When you travel in a group, each traveler is required to obtain one.
- Access the website for general travelers(Japanese)
- Click on the “TeCOT IDをお持ちでない方はこちら(if you do not have a TeCOT ID)” buttton（below the red button）
- Enter your email address and click on the “送信(send)” button
- You will receive an email from TeCOT to the address which you entered. Access the URL in the email and confirm the terms. Then, click on the “同意して利用を開始する(accept the terms and start using)” button at the bottom of the page
- Enter the required information(name, address, phone number and birthday) in the registration form and click on the “登録(register)” button
- Your registration is completed if you receive an email with a subject “【TeCOT】一般渡航者等向けアカウント 登録完了のお知らせ(【TeCOT】Registration of your account for general traveler is completed)”
2. Log in
UPDATE February 20th：A. Business travelers
- Access the website of gBizID(Japanese)
Use your gBizID to log in.UPDATE February 20th：Click on the “gBizIDでログイン(log in with your gBizID)” button (red button)
- Enter your Account ID (e-mail address which you registered) and password, and click on the “ログイン(log in)” button
- The terms of service will be displayed. Confirm them and push the “同意して利用を開始する(accept the terms and start using)” button
UPDATE February 20th：B. General travelers
- Access the website of TeCOT for general travelers(Japanese)
- Click on the “TeCOTを利用する(use TeCOT)” button (red button)
- Enter your e-mail address which you registered and password, and click on the “ログイン(log in)” button
- You will receive an email with a subject “【TeCOT】ワンタイムパスワードのお知らせ(【TeCOT】One-time password).” Enter the one-time password in the email. The expiration time is 10 minutes
3. Make a new appointment
UPDATE February 20th：From here, the procedure is the same for business travelers and general travelers.
1. A retrieving method depends on whether it is before leaving Japan or after returning. Click on the “新規予約登録(make a new appointment)” button at the top of the screen and choose “出国(leaving Japan)” or “帰国(returning to Japan)”
Before leaving Japan
- Choose your destination country and purpose of visit, and enter the description of the purpose.
- When you enter the length of your stay, enter departure/arrival time in Japan time.
- After entering all required information, click on the “次へ進む(next)” button.
After returning to Japan
- There are no required fields. Just click on the “次へ進む(next)” button.
- UPDATE February 20th：*Only short-term business travelers can take a PCR test when returning to Japan.
2. Confirm an examination method required by your destination country.
The meaning of the symbols is as follows.
- ◯：Suitable for the requirement of the examination
- △：Examination methods suitable for the requirement have not yet been made public. Confirm them as needed
- ー：Unsuitable for the requirement of the examination
※This information could be outdated. In order to confirm the requirement of the examination or the certificate, please check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan(Japanese) , or the website of the government or the foreign mission in Japan of your destination country.
3. Search for a hospital
You can narrow down your search results with “検査手法(examination method)“, “都道府県(prefecture)“, “市区町村(municipality)“, and “アクセス可能な駅(close station)“.
Also, you can specify the prefered day and time by checking “ｃ“.
If you check “電話予約(appointment by phone)“, the medical institutions where you can make a appointment by telephone will be displayed.
The search results will appear in descending order of the total amount of the fee for examination and the certificate issuing fee.
If you click on the “病院の詳細を見る(see the details of the hospital)” button, you can check available languages, cancellation policy and precautions when you make an appointment.
*Please give yourself plenty of time to make an appointment for the examination. The examination could start earlier or later than expected depending on how crowded it is in the medical institution. Also, if your test is indeterminate, the result could be delayed for the re-examination.
4. Make an appointment（on the website）
If you click on ▼, you can see the day and time available. Select your preference.
Check precautions and cancellation policy displayed.
Enter the applicant information, the traveler information and the flight ticket information, and click on the “次へ進む(next)” button.
Confirm the information entered and click on the “申し込み(apply)” button.
5. Make an appointment（by telephone）
If you check “電話予約(appointment by phone)” in step 3, the medical institutions where you can make an appointment by telephone will be displayed.
Make a phone call directly to the medical institution and make an appointment by yourself.
4. Confirm the appointment
You can confirm the appointment by clicking on the “登録済予約一覧(list of appointments registered)” button at the top of the screen.
Once your appointment is confirmed, “予約確定(appointment confirmed)” will be displayed in the status box.
Also, you can check detailed information by clicking on the leftmost ▼.
*If “予約確定(appointment confirmed)” is not displayed in the status box several days later, please inquire the medical institution.
5. If you want to cancel an appointment
Click on the “キャンセル(cancel)” button on the right of the appointment confirmation window of step 4.
*Once you decide to cancel, please follow the procedure immediately.
*Cancellation policies differ by medical institution. Please check them by yourself.
“TeCOT call center Navigation Dial for overseas tourists”
Office hours：9:00〜17:00（Including weekends and holidays）
Narita International Airport PCR Center
This PCR center was opened at Narita International Airport on November 2.
The certificate of result will be issued within at least 2 hours from registration.
Reception is possible without an appointment in advance (extra charge, people with an appointment will be prioritized)
*If you are in 2-week self-isolation after returning to Japan from a foreign country, you cannot use this center.
*Even if your test is positive, the fee for examination is not refundable.
Terminal 1 Central Building, the 3rd floor
Terminal 2 Building, the 1st floor
Center Operation Time
Open all year round, 24-7-365 Reception：9:00〜17:00 Certificate issuance：9:00〜21:00 *In off-duty time, reception at Narita International Airport Clinic on the 1st basement floor of Terminal 2 Building.（extra charge）
UPDATE February 20th：
Terminal 1 building
Terminal 2 building
* In the case of reception without an appointment, it costs you extra charge.
* Terminal 2 building is available for 24 hours, but PCR test in off-duty time and certificate issuance in off-duty time (21:00 〜 9:00) need extra charge.
PCR Test & Certificate issuance fee (tax included)
With an appointment
Without an appointment
(9：00 through 17:00)
(17:00 though 9:00 a.m. on the next day)
Credit cards are available at the center.
0476-34-6119（21:00～9:00) (to Narita International Airport Clinic）
4. When you want to take a test for other personal reasons
You can take a PCR test at a private company even if you don’t have any symptoms.
If you want to take the test personally, find an available institution by yourself.
In the case where you test positive, visit a medical institution. UPDATE February 20th：In the case where your test result is positive, consult a medical institution. Please make a phone call to a medical institution in advance before you go there.
UPDATE February 20th : Beware of scams!
There have been cases of frauds in which criminals pretend to be officers in a government office or a health center of municipalities. When you are told “You can take a PCR test for free,” do not tell them your personal information or reply to their postcard or email.